Tuesday, March 6, 2007

UW-La Crosse makes Kilinger's list as a ... "best value"?





I'm happy to say that my alma mater, UW - La Crosse, has made Kiplinger's list again as one of the top 100 schools based on it's cost for in-state and out-of-state students.

While I'm always proud to see my school on these types of lists, I had to laugh to myself at the term, "best value". I understand the magazine's meaning of it, but I can't help but think of when you go shopping for CDs and you stumble across some poor, lonely album that has most likely been on the racks for years and is plastered with a gigantic sticker that looks something like this:

Hey, I'm sure the above album is just dandy. But the purple sticker claiming it's great buy kind of gives it a funny vibe that makes you feel bad about laughing at it. You know, that same vibe you get when you and your friends see a guy with a mullet, but you're trying not to stare too much or laugh too hard? And have you ever been looking through a friend's CD collection and come across an album with one of those stickers? I would always put the album back and try to pretend I didn't see the sticker in order to save that friend the embarrassment.

But I digress. I'm always happy to see my school on lists like Kiplinger's. So congrats, UW-La Crosse!

No comments: